Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 02:18:20 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM and history

Now this brings back memories again. As indicated by others there's no
apparent freebsd port to the strongarm but there is a pretty well developed
netbsd port sometimes called RiscBSD for historical reasons. Back in the
early days of that port it was very nearly FreeBSD - Gary Palmer had
already got some way with a freebsd port to the arm platform when I and a
group of others started talking about RiscBSD ... but for various reasons
we plumbed for NetBSD.

A while ago the people involved in RiscBSD set up Causality
(www.causality.com)  largely, but not fully, due to the noises about NC
related commercial possibilities for the team officially doing the
netbsd/arm port. (I say the people because at this point I seemed to drop
out of the picture).

Causality has done various work for NCI/DEC and others and also has a joint
venture in a company called ChalTech (www.chaltech.com) that is more
hardware orientated and is just now releasing a strongarm/PCI/IDE/ATX/etc.
board that will of course run NetBSD/Arm.

Manar