Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:29:37 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AFS.

At 11:30 AM -0400 8/30/00, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>Just F.Y.I....
>
> I understand that, today, IBM is announcing it will open-source
>AFS via the IBM Public Source license..
>
> Some quotes I've seen:
>
>"IBM announced today the open source contribution of a
>high-performance file system technology and talent to
>strengthen collaboration in the enterprise."

This was announced at linuxworld.  It has been mentioned on the
freebsd-afs mailing list.  I think it is a very interesting
development, we shall have to see how it works out.

Note that there will still be a commercial AFS offering, and
this new open-source AFS option.  The open-source one will
not include some things from the commercial package.  I am
not sure what things will be missing.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute