Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:48:41 -0500
From:      vcardon <vcardon@siue.edu>
To:        Roderick van Domburg <freebsd-questions@vandomburg.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why gcc 2.95 in FreeBSD?

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 06:30:59PM +0200, Roderick van Domburg wrote:
> Something I've been wondering about but haven't been able to find the ans=
wer=20
> to: Why is by default gcc 2.95 included in FreeBSD as opposed to the newe=
r=20
> gcc 3.0?

GCC 3.0 had major problems that have now been corrected in GCC 3.1. GCC
3.1 will be the derfault compiler for FreeBSD 5.x.

> When I visit the GNU GCC website, it seems like 2.95 is ancient... it dat=
es=20
> back to 1999. Don't all of the current Linux distributions ship with 3.0?=
 Not=20
> that I believe that we should blindly follow Linux (at all *grin*), but I=
 am=20
> concerned about cross-platform compatibility.

GCC 2.95 is old, but it is also stable. Most Linux distributions are
still shipping with it as well. Right now, Gentoo is the only Linux
distribution that I am aware of that is going to start using GCC 3.1
within the next couple of weeks.

Victor

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--