Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 02:32:17 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 Tag...

Thus spake Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>:
> [Follow-ups set to -doc]

Please CC me.  I'm not subscribed ATM for lack of time.

> Well that's just silliness... if you have contributions to the FAQ, file
> PR's at least. That way the issue can be addressed in real terms (instead
> of, "What would happen if I?").

At time time, fixing things that nobody expressed an interest in
committing was very low on my list of things to do unless the
thing I was fixing was an annoyance to me personally.

> But seriously folks, I suggested a while back that "we" reorganize the
> useful information in the FAQ so that it lives in the appropriate location
> in the handbook, and turn the FAQ itself into links back to the handbook.
> At the time I was laughed out of court for a couple reasons, not the least
> of which was resources. But we've got a pretty solid core of doc
> committers nowadays, perhaps it's time to revisit this idea?

I think the documentation team has done a spectacular job on the
Handbook, and on advocating FreeBSD in general.  But the FAQ has
received far less attention from the looks of it, and incorrect
(outdated) answers are often worse than no answers at all.  Thus,
I would advocate moving its content to the Handbook and getting
rid of it, or making it a sort of index into the Handbook as you
suggest.  (The question, then, is whether it's really a useful

Anyway, there are plenty of people on doc@ who are more
knowledgeable about the underlying issues than I am, so I'll leave
the matter up to them.  My original point was merely that I don't
blame the original poster for not finding the answer to his
question in the FAQ.