Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:16:13 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lots of security advisories rehashed

--H6LIDA7T9wPCAFK1LMUbPTdSUTTQhfkLw
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

--dhgeU4heFkju8Ll0enInVcutaeLsCd8rT

On 08/12/16 12:23, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
>> I subscribe to the RSS feed of FreeBSD security advisories=20
>> (http://vuxml.freebsd.org/freebsd/rss.xml). Today, it told me that the=
re=20
>> were forty-something advisories. I went to the VuXML site and saw that=
 a=20
>> stack of old entries have been updated to have today as their "Entry" =

>> date. What's the reason? Is it something to be worried about?
>=20
> No, as far as I know.
>=20
> Mark Feld added some VuXML entries to ancient bugs, for completeness.
>=20

Note that these are capturing the last several years worth of security
advisories for the base system into VuXML.  This allows you to say, for
instance:

   pkg audit FreeBSD-10.3_2

which will tell you about a number of security advisories which have
come out since 10.3-RELEASE-p2.  This is in anticipation of the base
system being packaged, which is due to come in with 11.1-RELEASE.

See Mark Felder's announcement on questions@:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2016-August/273034.=
html

As Mark says, this is not guaranteed to be either accurate or complete,
but it should be helpful in managing system upgrades.

	Cheers,

	Matthew