Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2019 14:40:08 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Speculative: Rust for base system components

> Before I begin, I want to be clear that everything here is in the realm
> of speculative, long-term discussion.  My goal is to start a
> conversation, not to propose anything concrete right now.
>

> I've talked at several conferences about the possibility of bringing the
> Rust programming language into the base system, with the intent of
> making it a viable implementation language for parts of the base system.
>   I believe the potential security and stability benefits of doing this
> are *substantial*.  This would obviously be a serious undertaking, but I
> think the benefits are worth the cost.  For the rest of this mail, I'll
> outline my position and present the important facts that support it.

FWIW, my take around this and similar proposals is ...

Just go ahead and fork it on github and see how far it gets. Nowadays it
is very easy to start a new project and explore the possibilities.

If it seems to have a real future eventually people will ask for it to
be merged, if it doesn't .. well at least you really explored the idea.
Perhaps you may even end up merging it with redux-os :).

Cheers,

Pedro.