Date:      30 Jan 2000 05:16:44 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking updates to FreeBSD

Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET> wrote:

> Personally, as far as my needs are concerned. I would like to be able, for
> example, to track only cvs changes on a specific port, or file, and so on.

Put an autoselect in your kill file. Besides browsing through
cvs-all anyway, I've made sure I'll not miss changes to the ARC
loader and openssh port. For FreeBSD this works well. (Not so for
NetBSD and OpenBSD which don't put the affected files in the subject
lines of their source-changes mailing lists. I guess one could do
some munging.)

> I like to keep up on cvs changes that could affect me, but the volume of
> traffic on cvs-all is far more than I can take. It's also less ideal to
> setup mail filters to show only stuff you want to see since that still
> eats bandwith if you are the mail server, or if your mail client downloads
> before filtering as many do.

Considering that most people who complain about mail bandwidth
readily pull down megabytes of pointless graphic junk from the WWW
on a daily basis, I'm pretty tired about that line of argument.

Setting up a single central server to hold user state and send out
only selected subsets is lots of work to implement, doesn't scale
very well, raises privacy issues, etc. Although I'm sure the FreeBSD
project will react favorably, if you implement such a system.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de