Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:10:18 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Ed Henderson <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyclades opinions....

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:27:14AM -0500, Ed Henderson thus spoke:

> I am small rural ISP considering purchasing a new Cyclades PR4000
> access server that has up to 48 digital modems for $7600 and
> includes lifetime tech support. Does anyone have an opinion or
> experience with Cyclades? If it is a bad move then what do you
> recommend? MAXs are too expensive new and Lucent tech support is
> out of site in price! Too bad Lucent has discontinued the PM line.

Lucent PM's are on the user market a reasonable prices.  We picked
up one just for a few ISDN line.  The problem with something like
that you typically need modems to go along with it.

The Max's are becoming cheaper if you don't mind used equipment.
Since so many people appear to be upgrading to get higher density
in one box [I was in a carrier recently and there were racks of
Maxes - serving about 36000 line], the smaller one are on the used
market.

At another place I used to work with we needed to handle ISDN only
so we picked up a used Max with 33K modems - as everyone was
upgrading to digital - with 2 PRI's for $3K.

As I will agree that Lucent's tech support is way out of line.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com