Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 11:42:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert), hsu@cs.hut.fi, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

> I happen to personally HATE the installer that FreeBSD uses, as adding disks
> to an existing system is a real bitch of a job the way they do things.  The
> nice (and it IS nice) installer that you get when you boot disk #1 is not
> available once you have it up, and that's really too bad -- if FreeBSD had a
> nice, clean disk partitioning and labelling tool I'd be in hog heaven right
> now.

I'm working on it!  I'm working on it! :-)

It's an unfortunate fact that the release tools seem to occupy a
remote corner in most people's consciousness and I've been doing a lot
of that sort of development alone, though Poul-Henning and Gary were
white knights during the 2.0.5 installation effort.  The main drawback
to the current model is, however, the fact that having one person hack
out the installer in a corner results in something that has a rather
polarised view of how installs should be done, and there's not enough
general feed-back during the development process - it all comes in
postmortem.

If someone out there considers the further development of sysinstall
as something they'd be interested in, please contact me.  We have some
time before 2.1 to work on getting this right, for once, and we
shouldn't waste it.

					Jordan