Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marijn Meijles <marijn@gewis.win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10281: Crash of 3.1-STABLE system due to scsi error.

The following reply was made to PR kern/10281; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marijn Meijles <marijn@gewis.win.tue.nl>
To: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc: mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:03:34 +0100

 You wrote:

 > Umm, I know nothing about this.  If there is a bug in the SCSI subsystem
 > that causes crashes, why haven't I heard about it?
 >
 > And which machine at "cdrom.com" is crashing?

 I think wcarchive, but it was during a party that I spoke with the guy,
 so it was all a bit 'clouded'. I'll mail him and get back to you with
 some more details.

 > > I think we have the same problem, do you know more about this?
 > > The error message is:
 > > devstat_end_transaction: HELP!! busy_count for da2 < 0 (-245774)
 > > biodone: buffer already done
 > >
 > > the busy counts gets more and more negative.
 >
 > Now that is interesting.  That indicates that, somehow or another,
 > transactions are getting done more than once.
 >
 > Which version of sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c do you have?  Can you mail me the
 > file?

 ok, I'll mail it seperately.

 > If you're getting crashes, it would help immensely if you could provide a
 > stack trace from the panic.

 Yup, I know. I've instructed the guys at the university to write down
 everything, but the crash of today just showed this and no panic. you
 could only ping and it had to be rebooted.

 --
 Marijn