Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:00:08 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Cisco 2503i price

Dennis wrote in message ID
<199608052044.QAA00357@etinc.com>:

> >before... I heard Ascend, Adtran, and Cisco is the way to go.
>
> This is the truly exasperating part of this (damned) business!

Perhaps you'd care to explain why a FreeBSD PC built out of your
products is better than a $38k Cisco 7010, with 8 sync serial ports, 2
100bTX fast ether ports and a HSSI port? I doubt you could even DO
that with a single PC...

I agree, for someone who doesn't have the money or the need to go with
the expensive stuff, then it's worth a look, but we do, and I would
NEVER recommend a PC for what I'm looking to do ... I've seen too many
of them fail for mysterious reasons, and then find that your SCSI
cable has gone bad for some reason. There are just too many point of
failures in a typical PC for me to be happy.

Gary