Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 95 14:19:18 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jaitken@cslab.cs.vt.edu (Jeff Aitken)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New Apple+Intel machine

> I'm still evaluating possible machines for the recommended student
> configuration in a year, and the latest test macchine I've received is
> an Apple with the PowerPC chip (I forget which model number it is) which
> also has an Intel 486 (or pentium, one or the other) on a daughtercard.
> This beast is supposedly able to run MAC and IBM stuff simultaneously,
> so what I'm wondering is what the chances are of getting one of the
> *BSD's on it.  Has anyone used one of these things?  I know NetBSD works
> on the MAC, but I think only the 68k variety.  Is this true?

You might be able to run on the intel part of it, depending on how
faithfully it acts like PC hardware.

The Mac with the PPC chip is not supported by anyone but Apple right now,
mostly because Apple won't provide sufficient technical information
about the hardware to write UNIX-style device drivers (I think they
cut a deal with the MACHTen people, though).

Otherwise, I'd have one early last year, and it would be running BSD now.

Apple's loss.

Maybe when CHRP (pronounced "chirp"), which is the compromise replacement
for a real PPC standard, PReP, is finally signed on to by all the players,
we'll be able to pry hardware specifications from Apple's cold, dead
fingers.

After all, 100% of 6% is better than 20% of 100% (get a life, Apple).

What, me bitter?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---