Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:21:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c)

On Sunday, 21 January 2001 at 15:32:06 -0800, Robert Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 04:54:22PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never noticed the refresh rate, but the quality of picture is
>>> *noticeably* higher for PAL. I've had two US friends express
>>> unprompted amazement at seeing the resolution and picture quality of
>>> stuff taped from australian TV, for example (on my large, multi-system
>>> TV ;-).
>
> I got the impression that the big drawback to NTSC wasn't primarily
> the framerate/resolution argument, but the effects that being backwards
> compatible with B/W caused. (The color clock is marginal/unstable.)

No, PAL and SÉCAM are also backwards compatible to B/W.  The issue
with NTSC ("Never The Same Colo[u]r") is that it suffers from
transmission phase changes which cause skin hues to range from green
to bright red.  PAL and SÉCAM colour modulation solve this problem.
The resolution problem was solved earlier in the B/W era.

> I notice how quickly the color information deteriorates on VHS
> (NTSC).

I can't see an obvious technical reason for that.  It might be related
to the VHS recording techniques.  The tape moves a lot slower for NTSC
SP recordings, so a 160 minute NTSC tape will only last 120 minutes on
PAL or SÉCAM.

>> I ask the same questions about why Americans not using
>> GSM but PCS cell phones.  (FYI, the reason for using PCS in the U.S.
>> was a pure political reason, none other than America wanting
>> to "lead" the industry. :) )
>
> I always forget. Which system do people claim is better? I thought
> that GSM was trumpted as a great thing.

Once upon a time.  It has some basic timing constraints which require
the phones to be no further than 30 km from the base station; there's
a very sharp cutoff then, even if you have signal.  Over here, 30 km
isn't very far.

Greg