Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:34:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> types:
> At 6:44 AM +0000 4/14/01, Kris Kirby wrote:
> >  This is a damn good case for StarOffice. Too bad they don't have a Mac
> >  port... yet. Mac OS X is out, right?
> 	Sun recently announced that StarOffice will never be ported to
> MacOS X.  Instead, they refer people to the OpenOffice.org site that
> is trying to set up a cross-platform freely available Office
> implementation, but which right now has nothing but plans and hopes.

According to the FAQ on StarOffice became OpenOffice. "All of the
StarOFfice source code is available ... ". While complaining that
you'd rather have a product than source that someone might port, would
you also complain if Sun did the port and then charged for it while
giving away the Linux version for free? After all, there's not a lot
of incentive to port a product with an expected gross sales of $0.

While Terry is right that the best way into the Unix desktop market is
to have a dekstop that acts exactly like Windows - which StarOffice
provides - this strikes me as a really silly thing. Sort of like
adding a daemon that reboots the system every ~47 days in order to
break into the Windows server market. If I didn't want a desktop
environment that's better than Windows, I'd just run Windows. If I
really wanted an office suite that looked like Windows on a Unix
desktop, I'd just access Windows via vnc.

	<mike