Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:38:37 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, tj-fbsd@funbox.demon.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Phone rates

On 22-Dec-98 Mark Ovens wrote:

> Duncan Barclay wrote:

>> > Part of the problem is that BT still own all the major inter-city
>> > trunks, so even if you use Mercury making a call from, say, London to
>> > Manchester still has to use BT lines, which Mercury has to pay for. So
>> > BT still holds the upper hand.
>> >

>> Actually, this isn't right.
>>
>> There are still a lot of BT only trunks but Mercury
>> have their own or use trunks laid down next to railway lines by British R
>> ail (second largest trunk network in the UK). Energis and Scottish Telecom
>> have
>> thier own lines, Energis wraps fibre optic cable around its parents power
>> transmission lines and have UK wide coverage. Not sure how Scottish power
>> does
>> it, it may be the same as Energis.
>>

> I stand corrected. So why then does BT still seem to have a stranglehold
> over telecomms?

It still has the majority of the "Local Loop", i.e. the cabling from exchange
to the house. Cable TV companies are getting some of it and some went wireless
with Ionica who have just gone bust.

Ionica was a shame, partly because they own their HQ is the building next to
the one I work in and my company designed a lot of the kit and partly because
they were shat upon by the venture capitalists who didn't release a pot of
money.

Duncan

---