Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:19:34 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-AMD64 on Xeon MP

--------------enig899545A8553D6D1895136ECB

Michael Fuckner wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I try to run FreeBSD-7-AMD64 on a Quad Xeon (Xeon MP 7320) and 32GB RAM=
=2E=20
> The Board is a X7QC3 by supermicro and the installation is done on=20
> another system, updated and plugged to this system. So I have a drive=20
> with 7-STABLE compiled today.
>=20
> The last line I see from dmesg is vga0- then the system freezes.
>=20
> Anyone using a similar configuration or knows what could be wrong? I=20
> still have some days left to play with it, before this box gets shipped=
=20
> to the customer.

This looks very, very similar to what I had once, on similar hardware=20
(4x Xeon 7xxx, SuperMicro). I didn't find a solution and didn't bother=20
since the box isn't intended for FreeBSD. I did find (by accident) a=20
curious workaround: I booted Linux (I used Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 LiveCD -=20
just to boot it, without installing), then rebooted and booted FreeBSD - =

worked every time, but it's obviously not a long-term solution. If you=20
can also verify that this "solves" the problem, then someone might work=20
with you to produce a patch.