Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:53:31 -0400
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org

sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx wrote:
>  I just recieved an e-mail from "lawmbeki100@indiatimes.com", India, and
>  I recognized it as the Lawrence Mbeki Bank scam, which I heard about in
>  our discussions with some friends.

More accurately, it's the Nigerian 419 scam.

I receive such mail several times a week.  Don't worry about it -- if
you don't respond nobody will care.  If you want to take it up with
someone, first read
  http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
BTW, the scammer was probably not from India: anyone can get an email
account from www.indiatimes.com (like yahoo or hotmail).

>  I have reason to believe that these scammers are collecting e-mail addresses
>  of our mailing list users,

Yes they are, indeed, yes they are.

> I'm taking this very seriously and would like
>  ask the more experienced of you on what action to take next.

As far as spammers harvesting your email address goes: There's
absolutely nothing you can do to stop them, if you post to mailing
lists like these which are archived on the web.  (There are lists
whose archives consistently hide email addresses.  As it happens, the
FreeBSD archives on http://doc.freebsd.org show all email addresses.
Even if they ceased, other archives elsewhere would continue to show
them.)

As for what you can do to avoid spam: install a filter at your end,
like spamassassin.  Or get rid of your email address and get a new one
(thus also losing any legitimate mail sent there).  Don't use a
work-critical, storage-or-bandwidth-constrained or "private" email
account to post on mailing lists.

Users on unix-hosted mailservers probably have access to multiple
email addresses by adding a +bar to their username
(foo+bar@example.com will be delivered to foo@example.com), as was
discussed on this list last week.  You can use some such address to
post to lists, and use procmail to filter replies to a low-priority
mailbox.  This is supported by recent sendmail, postfix (I think), and
qmail (qmail by default uses - rather than +, and requires you to have
a .qmail-bar forwarding file, I think.)

But you cannot remove your email address from the spammers' lists once
they've harvested it.

- Rahul