Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:47:35 -0800
From:      Richard Schilling <rschi@rsmba.biz>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        wine-devel@winehq.com
Subject:   New Open Source License: Single Supplier Open Source License

I would like to present to you all a new Open Source software license I've written up.  It's called the Single Supplier Open Source License.  I will be distributing software under this license as well as the traditional Open Source licenses found at opensource.org.

You can see a copy of the license and its associated FAQ at http://www.rsmba.biz/licenses . A link on the homepage at rsmba.biz will also direct you there.

I will also be working directly with opensource.org to address any issues they have with the license wording.

The license has the following features:

# Users have freely available access to source code, documentation just like the GPL.
# Users may use, modify, and install the software on as many computers as they want within their organization.
# Any changes made by the user and others get contributed back into the base product
# The developer's right to control who provides services using the product is protected.
# The developer's right to control who can distribute the software is protected.
# The developer has complete control over the product forking.
# The developer and all contributors retain copyright of their individual works.
# The software is always downloaded from the same place by the end user even if it's used as part of a larger product, protecting the quality of the software.

Please feel free to contact me on or off list about this announcement.

Richard Schilling