Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 09:31:09 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Eric Ogren" <eogren@earthlink.net>, "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: docs/18683: Insufficient detail in /usr/src/UPDATING instruc

I'm a relative newbie to unix generally .... been lurking in -docs for a
while to see what the "official" attitude is to documentation. I've found
that while there is less documentation on FreeBSD than there is on for
example Redhat, what documentation there is appears to be somewhat more
intelligible. However its virtually all prepared by experts in their field
(and thats OK if other experienced unix users are on the receiving end)
consequently many minor but critical points are omitted. My suggestion is to
do away totally with the traditional ethos of employing experts to write the
stuff ..... find someone who is struggling with the subject to do
documentation to head the documentation production team .... the idea being
that if a newbie can comprehend the stuff than it's sufficiently verbose for
anyone.\

I'm making an attempt here to churn out some newbie-friendly stuff, long way
to go yet but the compliments I've been receiving from newbies over the week
since I put the presenly available material online indicate that something
like it has been needed for a long time.
www.apana.org.au/FreeBSD/FreeBSD_Tutorial/