Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:07:52 -0400
From:      kwc@world.std.com (Kenneth W Cochran)
To:        shimon@i-connect.net, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPT still won't boot/run

>From tom@sdf.com  Fri Oct 24 04:34:37 1997
>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
>
>On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>
>> >Or, a problem with your bootblocks on the hard drive.  What type of
>> >bootblocks did you install?
>>
>> I'm not aware that any were installed at all...  I think that may
>> be the current problem, but installation didn't install any & I
>> can't tell from the manpage(s) what to do...
>
>  This is probably it then.  I've installed 2.2.2, but not 2.2.5.  I
>recall from 2.2.2, there was an option to install nothing, standard blocks
>(what you want), and the booteasy blocks (for a boot menu).  You probably
>installed none.

Tried it...  "disklabel -B sd0"  still doesn't work :-(

>> >What version of dpt driver?

I think the boot.flp is 1.1.10...  It seems to work fine (when
floppy-booted).

1.2.5 (ftp.i-connect.net/crash/kernel.dpt) & it's a 3.0 kernel
Still getting the following error message if I try do do anything:
dpt0 ERROR: Stale 6664 (Write (10) [6.1.18] on c0b0t0u0 (xxxxxxxxx)
    gets another chance(1/5)

xxxxxxxxx is a 9-digit number

Message keeps repeating (& counting the 4-digit number after "Stale"
& card hangs with leds 1 & 9 on, all others off.

I can boot by booting the floppy & at the boot: prompt,
0:sd(0,a)kernel.dpt
HBA is a DPT PM2144UW with a pair of Seagate St34572W 4.x g drives.

The recipient of this machine is arriving shortly to pick it up
& I think I'll install Linux.  I do *not* understand why y'all
seem to be running FreeBSD just fine on this kind of hw & I don't.
I'm seriously considering ditching FreeBSD as Something I'd Like
To Run.  Sorry guys, it still looks to me like It Still Does Not
Work.  :-(

Thank you for all your help, really...
-kc