Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:48:54 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreebSD ISP list" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Need suggestions. What features needed for admin tool?

About a month ago I bought a web based admin tool for FreeBSD called
Netmax.
It basically presents an HTML front end to DNS, Mail, Samba, backup,
IFPW and other services.

In talks with the vendor and from comments (or lack thereof) in
lists/newsgroups I have not seen anyone else using Netmax.

A few ISPs I mentioned it said they had too many custom setups to have
a tool like this be helpfull.

The question I have is what features would such and admin tool need to
have to be attractive to a FreeBSD ISP or a site admin.

The makers of this product seem to be very receptive and have talked to
them voice a few times.

My interest lies in finding how this product can best serve the FreeBSD
community. They are coming out with a Linux port and I would hate to
see them dropping FreeBSD in the future because it didn't sale enough
(i.e. FreeBSD users did not think it was worth buying).

The only thing I didn't like was the price. :-(
It cost about $500, but at leat in my case it was woth it because the
amount of time it would have taken me more than $500 worth my time.