Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 09:48:45 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restoring the CTM feeds -- update

At 9:09 AM -0600 3/9/97, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>I believe Jordan K. Hubbard scribbled this message on Mar 9:
>> > BTW, if freefall does not accept all users, I think it should
>> > not carry the flagship name.
>> > IMHO, cvsup.freebsd.org SHOULD be the fastest, best connected, system
>> > willing to take all. If freefall is restricted, give it another name
>> > like CVSup.Root.FreeBSD.Org
>>
>> [jkh slaps Richard around for awhile, points him at the man page for
>>  nslookup(8) and motions that he write "I promise not to write indignant
>>  emails without being even halfway sure of my facts first." 100 times
>>  on the freebsd blackboard ]
>
>arg...  past the conical hat here...  I'm the one who told him that
>cvsup.freebsd.org was the same as freefall.freebsd.org...  it was at one
>point wasn't it??  blame me.. not him.. ;)

Thanks, John for 'fessing up. I, too, must take some of the blame for
simply accepting your statement without researching it.

But, back to the issues at hand.  I said "IF ... ". Since the reality
is in agreement with my opinion, there is no conflict. I guess someone
is just overworked and a bit sensitive. :-)

As for the "change the DNS" suggestion, I still stand by it.
I understand that the failure of cvsup.freebsd.org has taken longer to
repair than was expected. However, the "workaround" is not that difficult
and I give "customer service" a higher priority than it is given by some
of the "core" members.

In fact, "customer service" is the whole reason I am now diverting a
whole machine to distribute CTM deltas for things which are of absolutely
no personal interest.