Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:17:11 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, itojun@itojun.org, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY: Selecting media on LinkSys combo card

> >> 	MegaHertz support may say "You should get MegaHertz XJ10BT
> >> 	ethernet card".
> >> 	It has XJack RJ45 connector, and it is on the opposite side of
> >> 	the edge than the XJack RJ11 connector on modem.  I like this card.
> >
> > I use coax.     8)
> >
> > (Think "robust")
>
> What's robust about coax?

As compared to RJ-45 connectors?  Well shit, I can walk on it just for
starters.  We have connectors in the workshop that are so old that the
plating on them is black, and our gear doesn't get what you'd call the
lightest of treatment.

You try tripping over a UTP lead sometime, and unless the hub leaps off
the desk and brains someone, you'll be off looking for a new lead.
You don't get this sort of junk with coax cable.

Yes, crap coax is just as bad as crap UTP.  Good coax, OTOH, is a lot
better than good UTP can hope to be, purely by design.

(Having said all this, there are plenty of places where UTP is
definitely the superior solution; it's just the robustness isn't one of
the major criteria there...)

mike