Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:08:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support? (moving to chat...)

As Michael Hancock wrote:

> Zip's are cool, but I really think the LS-120 will replace the current
> floppy drive standard because of their compatibility with 1.44 media.

Await it.  Iomega once created the Floptical, also compatible with
1.44 media, and usable with 20 MB media (magnetical recording, optical
positioning).  They were what their name suggests, a flop.

Our Indys shipped with these beasts, and the generous Indy designers
even `forgot' to design a flap behind the hole where you were about to
insert the medium.  The result was a drive that usually even failed to
read a floppy within a week of sucking dust through this hole, not to
mention the (semi-)optical media.

Also, they were dog-slow with 1.44 MB floppies (about half a minute
`check-in' time), and way too expensive to use them as a floppy
replacement. :) I never got the drive to work reliably on a FreeBSD
machine (but didn't investigate too much then).

So, until the LS drives have proven to be really superiour and all, i
would be cautious with wheather forecasts.

--
cheers, J"org