Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:42:08 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Will Ebay ever learn?

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:35:13 -0400 (EDT), Alfred Perlstein
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,39624,00.html?st.ne.fd.tohhed.ni

>Large central points of failure tend to do just that, fail.
>This is why clustering many, many machines is the right way
>to do things (ie. hotmail)

I didn't know they had a few large machines running the show..
Which brings us back to my previous comment.

>> Although expensive, at some point I hope they realize that they
>> must have very serious underlying architectural problems to have
>> so many outages.

They need to do with a different approach and I agree with you
that clustering is a much better approach.

I don't recall Yahoo ever having a major outage.

The even more interesting thing about Ebay is that I don't
believe any of their major outages was because of hardware (at
least that I can recall).