Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 23:49:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga <atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jay Nelson wrote:
>
>> >Please consult the mailing-list archives.
>>
>> Why? It seems like a reasonable question from someone who is familiar
>> with AIX, using STABLE and new to the list. Maybe a helpful pointer
>> would redirect the other people wondering the same thing.
>
>It's a perfectly reasonable question, but one which has been answered
>numerous times and just wastes everyone's time rehashing it unless there

[snip]

I think you missed the point. As more users are encouraged to try
FreeBSD, and more read the direction to search the archives, the more
these folks will see the recursive injunction to read the archives
with little or no hint of how best to search and filter out all the
injunctions to "search the archives."

I'm suggesting that a useful pointer would not only help the
questioner, but help those who do search the archives.

A search of the archives for "JFS" (a logical place to start)
selecting questions and fs turned up 30 messages. Most were asking the
question, most of the remainder distinguishing between JFS and LFS.
Terry Lambert's responses were the most informative, and I'm sure he's
getting tired of answering, but none of them answered the question
for someone who is wondering "what is going on today."

I don't disagree with you. All I'm suggesting is that if you are
familiar with a thread that has been rehashed so much, you're familiar
with a subject to which you can point the questioner. Someone new to
FreeBSD isn't likely to have the same familiarity and could probably
use the help.

-- Jay