Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:44:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! ATA driver (atapi DMA)..

On 31 Aug 1999, Kevin Street wrote:

> Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
>
> I should have mentioned that ... it's a 32x cdrom.  dmesg says it
> claims to be able to do 5515 KB/sec.
>
> I've played around with using dd ... skip=n to reposition which part
> of the cd I'm reading and I've seen some much better speeds on the
> outer tracks (I think I now recall that cd's start numbering from the
> inside tracks, don't they?).  So you're probably right that it's just

Almost all fast (>12X or so) CD-ROM drives are variable speed.  You will see
much greater performance from the outer edge as from the inside edge.  You
are correct that the begining of the CD is in the center.  dd the whole disk
and use iostat to see what your transfer rates are.  They will go up as the
disk reaches the end.

David Scheidt