Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:51:16 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> As far as raw benchmarks go, I'd suggest anybody who is about to install
> FreeBSD install Linux first, run some benchmarks, record them (smile),
> and then install FreeBSD and do the same.  That way we can get
> comparisons on the _SAME HARDWARE_.  There is a stray IDE HD laying
> around my office, I may take that and do said experiment on my own
> workstation.  Collecting this sort of comparison is what we need.
> Comparing 'nearly-the-same' computer just doesn't cut it--too much is left
> open for debate.

OK we will get a new server (P5-133 with 64MB EDO, PCI AHA2940,
2*Fujitsu 2GB 7200rpm, DEC 21040 based Ethernet PCI card) machine
somewhen round the weekend, so I could run the benchmarks while I set it
up - so:

1) Where shall I find the Linux thing? And how shall I install it? (It
might seem funny, but presently it is a FreeBSD related question)

2) Where shall I get the benchmark programs? For FreeBSD from one of the
mirrors of ftp.freebsd.org, but for Linux?

Any other suggestions as for the benchmarking?

And most importantly - how much time is this all going to take?

> -Brandon Gillespie-

	Sander