Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:06:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newer gcc?

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:
>
> > > Has there been any thought to jumping to a newer version of gcc,
> > > specifically egcs?
> >
> > 	Doesn't egcs require an ELF filetype?  Currently many people
> > are still a.out.  I'm sure it will change in the future.
>
> Well i only brought this up again for 2 reasons, as i know it has been
> discussed to death in the past, however with the move to ELF and perl5 i
> thought... what the hell :)
Of course, when 3.0 is the branch people are encouraged to move to, and as
it's already entirely ELF (except the boot floppies, but still...) it will
be safe to do this. But of course, the policy of least surprise is highly
important in this kind of thing

> Anyhow:
>
> a) egcs is a bit more improved than gcc in terms of c++ support, and more
> features/optimizations.
The "features/optimization" part is very debatable. For C code, I tend to
get much inferior assembly output using egcs, or even gcc 2.8.1, rather
than 2.7.2.1.x, even if of course egcs _is_ better for C++, as I've seen.
Have you actually successfully compiled an entire world with egcs? Let me
know when you do (kernel too).

> b) i thought the move to elf was so that we _could_ better use the newer
> GNU tools.
This is correct, but you're kinda mistaken here: the move to elf is to
have a newer TOOLCHAIN, which is mainly binutils (GNU ld, as, obj*, gdb,
bfd) not for the latest compiler. For this matter TenDRA is a rather nice
compiler, but has generated entirely incorrect code at times, so for right
now is best as a linter.

> The reason i was asking is that i may bmake it and stick it into my tree,
> if i can produce a "release" build using it maybe people would show more
> interest.
>
> -Alfred
Cheers,
Brian Feldman