Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:44:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        John Gunkel <jgunkel@tbf.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: virtual hosts through gateway to dummy net device

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, John Gunkel wrote:

> Is it possible?
>
> My provider is suggesting that he would like my virtual host(s) on a different
> subnet that my machine's IP address. This would be no big problem, but
> then he also mentions that my machine would have to do some gatewaying.
> (My apologies for being so vague, he's no easy guy to get info from.)
>
> Anyway, I conjured up the idea of creating another dummy device to bind
> to the virtual host subnet, but get the response "no route to host" when I try
> to ping it.
>
> the device name is lo1, (the second loopback device: NOT 127.0.0.1)
> is configured in a similar way to lo0 except that it has the address
> 192.168.2.1 whereas ed0 has the address 192.168.1.1 and works
> beautifully.

Why use lo1?  I use lo0 quite happily.

# ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1

# ifconfig lo0 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffffff alias
# ifconfig lo0 192.168.1.254 netmask 0xffffffff alias

# route add 192.168.1.0 127.0.0.1

On other machines, add a route to 192.168.1.0/24 via your machine's
ethernet IP address.  Of course, if you are using subnets, adjust the
netmasks accordingly.

Danny