Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:16:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 3.4-STABLE custom kernel

I've been trying to get a new kernel to work on a friend's
machine, but every time I install a new kernel and reboot,
we get this:

changing root device to wd0s2a
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 0)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: interrupt timeout (status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4
wd0: Last time I say: interrupt timeout.  Probably a portable PC.
(status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 1<no_dam>)
wd0: wdtimeout() DMA status 4

His system worked just fine with a previous custom kernel with
exactly the same config as this one.  I'm at a loss as to what
to do.

I've already tried disabling all flags on the wdc* devices;
didn't do any good.

Here are the relevant config entries:

options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
options         "AUTO_EOI_2"

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
#disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
#disk           wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM

device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

Suggestions, anyone?

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/