Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:47:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Shane Nelson <i@spots.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem troubles.

Sounds like echoing is turned off. Try ATE1Q0 and wait for the "OK" or
just dial blind. It'll work even if you cant see what you type.

-- Jay

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Shane Nelson wrote:

->
->
->After installing freebsd over ftp I'm having troubles getting my modem to
->work.  It works fine in win/dos still, but when i try to use it in freebsd
->it doesn't respond.
->
->I go into the ppp utility and it opens up like this:
->
->User process PPP written by Toshinaru OHNO
->log Level is 09
->Can't open /etc/ppp/ppp.secret
->Warning: No password entry for this host in ppp.secret
->Warning: All manipulation is allowed by anyone in the world
->Usring interface: tun0
->Interactive mode.
->ppp ON myname> show modem
->device: /dev/cuaa1 speed 38400
->cs8, none parity
->connect count: 0
->outq: 0
->outqlen: 0
->ppp ON myname> term
->
->at this point... i can go into term, but the only thing that i can that
->results in any reaction is type "~?" and "~." and "~p"
->nothing is echoed to the screen, no AT commands ahve any response..
->nothing. it just sits there with only those three commands responding.
->
->Sometimes i can quit out of the ppp prograrm with no problems.. Othertimes
->I'll type quit and it will jsut hang my system, forcing me to reboot.
->
->
->My only idea is that when I installed freebsd the instalation didn't
->complete properly.. It got to the point where it said it was 100% done
->downloading the the man pages.. then froze. I heard my modem hang up,
->waitied a bit and reboot.  I was able to bring bsd up by booting with
->/kernel.GENERIC... I configured the kernel the same way i did when I
->installed it, and when my  modem was working, but no
->response from my modem now.
->
->Can anyone shed some light on this problem?
->
->-Shane
->