Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:12:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        cjs@portal.ca (Curt Sampson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> > I installed the Linux/Alpha microcode diskette on my Alpha when I
> > first got it from OnSale (several months ago).  It was required
> > for NetBSD.
>
> I'd be very suprised if the Linux PALcode works with NetBSD. NetBSD
> requires the Digital Unix/VMS PALcode.

VMS?

Not OSF?

As far as I know, there is only OSF and NT.

Linux requires the OSF.  The version of the OSF PAL code that comes
with the Alpha Multia boxes with the RedHat Linux CDROM differes from
the standard release in that it will operate in only 16M, instead
of the standard OSF PAL code, which requires 32M to come up.

The PAL code I'm using was originally used in the Linux Alpha
port, which was done at the University of Arizona, here in Tuscon
(I leave very near the guy who did most of the original Linux Alpha
stuff).

> > What microcode does the machine have?  That will determine whether
> > or not you can install NetBSD at all.
>
> Since DU is running on them now, NetBSD could be installed.

DU requires the OSF PAL code.  The issue of the NT PAL code is
one of licensing for the PAL code.  Apparently, DEC wants NT
to win over Digital UNIX, and charges a premium for the OSF PAL
code to make sure everyone is discouraged from running it.

The original argument from the FreeBSD Alpha advocacy was to
use the NT PAL code in the FreeBSD port to ensure that the
additional licensing fee was not required.

The Linux people got a special deal, but there are some interesting
restrictions on it.  I could type in the relevent portions of
the Linux documentation, if I had to, I guess.  It boils down to
restrictions on use, and on the vendor having bought a one-time
distribution license (this is the same vendor who was (is?)
selling Multia's through the auctions on www.onslae.com, where
I got mine.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org