Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:51:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      jhanna@cproject.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/16411: DUMP freezes system if uucico or samba writes during the dump

>Number:         16411
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       DUMP freezes system if uucico or samba writes during the dump
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD larryboy.cproject.com 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #7: Mon Jan 17 12:33:35 MST 2000     root@larryboy.cproject.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/JMH_SMPNET  i386

Hi. I run dump nightly to backup my files to a second disk drive, something like this:

dump -0 -a -f - / |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.root.dump.gz
dump -0 -a -f - /usr |gzip >/backup/larryboy/larryboy.usr.dump.gz

In the middle of this process the system locked up. I had to
push the reset key to bring it back. UUCICO was also running about the same time as the backup. I've also had crashes with Samba accesses. I've compiled the kernel with debug and tried to force a panic but it doesn't panic.

>How-To-Repeat:
Try
dump -0 -a -f - /usr |gzip >/secondHD/larryboy.usr.dump.gz

from one wd drive to another and set up UUCICO to run during the dump, or try writing some files with Samba to the folder being dumped.

It's quite repeatable for me, but it could be hardware specific:
  SMP, primary and slave IBM drives on wd0

>Fix:
I've switched to TAR in place of DUMP on the active partition and have not crashed since then. I'm hoping the problem will go away with 4.0's ATA driver, but haven't tested it -- I'm waiting for 4.0 or 4.1 release.