Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:41:28 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lynis and lsof

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:33:09AM +0100, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > security/lynis seems to like having lsof available.
> > However sysutils/lsof isn't listed as a dependency (whether optional or
> > not).
> >
> > Would it be possible to add it, as a convenience?
> >
> > I can provide the patch and/or file a bug report if you'll agree.
> >
> >   bye & Thanks
> >       av.
>
> Andrea,
>
> thanks for making me aware of this!
> I just updated the port to 2.4.1 and added a runtime dependency on lsof.

In that case, a note that lsof should be added to PORTS_MODULES on
/etc/src.conf. lsof uses several undocumented kernel interfaces that are
not stable (as they are not intended for external use). As a result, things
can break if the kernel is updated without lsof also being updated.

PORTS_MODULES will take case of this for those who build the kernel from
source. Things get rather messy if you use freebsd-update or packages
though, as the packaging system sees no reason to make a new lsof package.
I have no idea how to properly handle this. I simply always build lsof from
source and lock it so 'pkg upgrade' won't touch it.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com