Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 1995 10:45:48 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with initial FreeBSD (2.0.5 CD) installation attempts

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> wrote:

> I've been experiencing a bunch of weird stuff after installing FreeBSD on my
> system, so I've been reinstalling it (which is REAL easy from the CD) in
> attempts to get things cleared up.

Boy I hate it when I do bone-headed things like this. I finally ran across a
'fsck' failure when booting into Linux that lit the "Aha!" light in my head.
Turns out that when I rearranged my partition usage, I forgot to edit the
/etc/fstab in my Linux tree. That combined with typing 'shutdown -fr now'
(i.e. a "fastboot") a few times led to some interesting file system
corruptions when Linux mounted my FreeBSD partitions under the old assumptions
as to their use.

That discovered, I have a couple of curiosity questions.

1) When installing the emacs-19.28 package from the 2.0.5R CD, I get this
   error:

		Projected size of 24276116 exceeds free space in (null).
		Not extracting /cdrom/packages/All/emacs-19.28.tgz

   Is that a bug in pkg_manage or in the emacs-19.28 packaging?

2) Upon booting, I get this message right after the Boot: prompt and
   "text=0x..." message:

		BIOS basemem (637K) != RTC basemem (640K)

   I'm not really a PC person and was wondering if that message is something
   to worry about?

3) During bootup, I get this message (presumably mounting one of my 3 DOS
   partitions):

		mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize in length

   Is that something to worry about? Maybe only if I mount the paritions 'rw'
   (which I probably do)?

4) In doing a bunch of reinstalls & fiddling with UserConfig mode in bootup, I
   was wondering why 'enable' & 'disable' can't take multiple devices or
   globbing patterns. That way, I could disable a bunch of them in one fell
   swoop...'disable ah* bt0 lnc*'

5) Is there a way to make a simple boot floppy from the sysinstall process?
   There were a couple of times when I really wanted to boot (to an MFS root?)
   to do some simple repairs on the disk. So, how DOES one go about doing
   that? Or do I have to do a Minimal install from sysinstall, then switch
   over to the holographic shell in VT4 to do anything? I think I've seen that
   suggested as the "fixit floppy" alternative (I think I've probably missed
   some messages on that subject recently).

6) I notice that when booting with something like 'fbsdboot -D ...\kernel',
   the path to the kernel file makes it into the boot process somewhere (like
   the '-c changes' recording?). It looks like it uses /sbin/dset to do the
   recording. Is it possible to get at the path that got used for the kernel
   from, say, /etc/rc.local, so I could do something with it? In my Linux
   setup, I boot with 'loadlin' (roughly equivalent to 'fbsdboot' in this
   case) and I've got stuff in my boot sequence to stick a symlink to the boot
   kernel in /vmlinuz. I was wondering if I could (or should) do something
   similar for putting a symlink like this:

      /kernel -> /c/freebsd/kernels/mykernel.001

   or some such silliness. I'm not really sure how long I'll continue to do
   this sort of thing, so it's not really that big a deal, but I'm just
   curious.

Thanks muchly,
Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org