Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:28:35 +0100
From:      Markus Dolze <bsdfan@nurfuerspam.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support of MO-Drives?

Hello,

On http://www.freebsdforums.org/ there was a discussion about hardware
for small backup use. I thought of MO-drives (magneto-optical). This
week I got access to a new Fujitsu Dynamo 1.3 GB drive with ATAPI interface.

After attaching it the drive didn't get a device assigned on startup.
The drive is visible when I use "atacontrol list". I went through the
example kernel config files and found the atapicam device. After
building and installing a new kernel with it, the drive was detected and
assigned an "ad*" device.

Ejecting the media and starting the drive using "camcontrol" worked as
well as reading and writing.

Is this the intended way to use these kind of devices?

Regards
Markus Dolze