Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 19:18:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jehamby@lightside.com, current@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

> Such as what, the PVI-486AP4, out of production for 4 months, the only
> 486 board that I know ASUS is still makeing is the PVI-486SP3, which
> I do not classify as a good board due to only 2 Simm sockets and if I
> recall correctly a cache coherency problem in the Sis 496/497 chipset.

I can attest to this.  I've got a PVI-486SP3, with the SiS
496/497 chipset and a Cyrix 5x86-120 chip.  I'm running
2.1.0-RELEASE off of a SCSI drive on an Adaptec 1542CF.  As most
of you probably know, this is a bus mastering card, and I have
run into quite a few problems when running at 120 MHz.  However,
at 100 MHz everything is ok.  There's 16k of write-back L1 cache,
and 256k of write-back L2 cache.  I have heard from quite a few
other folks that they have problems too, particularly with this
motherboard, CPU's that use write-back L1 cache, and Adaptec SCSI
cards (1542C, 284x, 294x).  One person was using a BusLogic
card, but he switched to a different BusLogic, and everything was
ok.  Wish I'd known before I got it (too late now).

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2