Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:05:31 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        pmoyer@hyperon.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE upgrade question (disk devices)

On 3/27/00, 5:40:37 PM, "Philip R. Moyer" <pmoyer@hyperon.com> wrote=20
regarding -STABLE upgrade question (disk devices):

> I'm upgrading from 3.4 to 4.0 (-STABLE) and I have a couple
> of questions regarding the disk devices.  The procedure for
> doing an upgrade to 4.0 (from /usr/src/UPDATING) is:

> 1.  cd /usr/src
> 2.  make buildworld
> 3.  cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
> 4.  make install
> 5.  cd /usr/src/sys/modules
> 6.  make install
> 7.  cd /usr/src
> 8.  make buildkernel KERNEL=3D<kernel name>
> 9.  make installkernel KERNEL=3D<kernel name>
> 10. chflags noschg /kernel
> 11. mv /kernel /kernel.3_4
> 12. mv /<kernel name> /kernel
> 13. chflags schg /kernel
> 14. cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev/MAKEDEV
> 15. for N in list of disks
>       MAKEDEV N
>       for M in list of slices
>               MAKEDEV NsMa
> 16. reboot single
> 17. cd /usr/src
> 18. make -DNOINFO installworld
> 19. make installworld
> 20. reboot multi

> My questions are in step 15.

> I've done an ls in /dev and made a list of all the disk-related
> devices.  Is that what I should use (it's appended)?  Should I
> remake the devices for the raw disks, too (e.g., rwd0)?

> Cheers,
> Phil

> Here's the list of disk devices on my system:
> da0
> da0s1
> da0s2
> da0s3
> da0s4
> da1
> da1s1
> da1s2
> da1s3
> da1s4
> da2
> da2s1
> da2s2
> da2s3
> da2s4
> da3
> da3s1
> da3s2
> da3s3
> da3s4
> od0
> od0s1
> od0s2
> od0s3
> od0s4
> rda0
> rda0s1
> rda0s2
> rda0s3
> rda0s4
> rda1
> rda1s1
> rda1s2
> rda1s3
> rda1s4
> rda2
> rda2s1
> rda2s2
> rda2s3
> rda2s4
> rda3
> rda3s1
> [...]

Dear Philip Moyer,

If I fully understand the whole matter, you have to remake your *disk*=20
and *slice* entries at this stage (stage 15) because you need to=20
access them in the subsequent reboot (s.u.m.). So, strictly speaking,=20
you should remake only those disks and slices which are necessary for=20
the uprading procedure (e.g. because they will contain the upgraded=20
pieces of your system :-)

Personally, I followed Nik's make world tutorial as usual (steps >20):=20
ie I ran mergemaster and then I remade *all* the devices ("/dev/sh=20
MAKEDEV all"). =20

If you do so, you will automatically (re)make a good number of them=20
(ie a "standard set", so to speak.) But you *MUST* make slice entries=20
(e.g. ad0s1a) and all those entries outside the "standard set".

You might want to check what is remade (e.g. as indicated in the=20
hanbook), and, mutatis mutandis (ie check the new names for the device=20
nodes), make what is missing. AFAIK, in 4.0-something (current,=20
release, or "stable"), the concept of block devices has disappeared=20
although, in the early stages, "compatibility" devices nodes will=20
still be present (e.g. wd*).

Also, you might want to *write down* what you do as well as recording=20
your session (script command): if something goes wrong, somebody will=20
be able to help you.

BTW, after upgrading to 4-(then)CURRENT, I remade the world once again=20
to make sure that *all* the components were ok: the logs (and the=20
script command) are your friends :-)=20

Good luck,
Salvo