Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 02:16:14 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: interest in syscons cut&paste patches for 2.1.5?

[about the mouse support patch for syscons, for 2.1.5 not compiling]
> > > Ideas how to proceede?
> > > Maybe...
> > > #define FONT_NONE 0
>
> Aiigh!!!  it should be #define FONT_NONE  1 !!!!

Hmm... But... "#define FONT_8 0x001" is allready there.. ?

> > The mouse pointer seems to work, but it's NOT good looking. I can move four
> > characters around, and these cover what I put them over, and are not
> > "see through" as I expected. In these four chars there are traces of a good
> > looking pointer, split up and spread around. :-)
> > I should mention I run with this in /etc/sysconfig (in case it's important):
> > keyboard="swedish.iso"
> > Font8xYY=iso-8xYY  (YY = 16,14,8)
>
> Now this is endeed strange, unless there is something REALLY wrong
> with these patches (I cannot try them out, all my machines are
> running current).

I wouldn't know. You're the expert! :-)

[snip]
> > untouched source, except for this patch. Only thing I did was to go into
> > syscons.h and added "#define FONT_NONE 0x000" and changed HISTORY_SIZE to
> > 500*80.
>
> Hmm, I'd sure would be nice to know what graphics card you where having
> in there. You are not running with cached videomemory by any chance ??
> That could screw you display...

Hmm... I basically took my GF's computer and said "This computer needs
FreeBSD" and away went her Win3.11 install. *cheer* However, she has no
manuals, or such, and I have no idea what's inside there, really. I could
open it up and try to peek later, possibly. I'll send info to you privately
on this,if it doesn't solve itself soon, Soren.

[snip]
> > stuck on the console for one reason or the other, it's nice to have more
> > than 100 rows.
>
> RTFM !! man kbdcontrol watch for the -h option :)

Oops! *grin* Now... How was I supposed to know there was such a program?
*duck* :-)  Seems I did too little research. Oh well... Thanks for the useful
info/correction. Still, it would be nice to be able to set a system default
in the config file, I think.

[snip]
> > (Oh, this is only in console mode, ofcourse. In X it works fine.)
> > Where's the error? The swedish.iso file?
> > Anyone else noticed this?
>
> I know about the num enter, thats a bug allright (in the keymap) the other
> one ... I don't know where you would expect it to be..

CTRL-ALTGR-9 would be very logical, since ALTGR-9 is ']'.

[About beeps not being heard between VTYs]

> It is fixed in -current yes, you get a beep of a different pitch if
> its happening on another console...

*sigh* Doesn't help me much, wanting to run 2.1.5, so I have a stable server.
Would it be hard to make a patch for 2.1.5 to allow the same thing?
A lot of code-changes that needs to be insterted from -current to do this?

  /Mikael

PS.