Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:57:53 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for individuals interested in reviewing test / python topics

Quoting Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> (from Sat, 15 Nov 2008 =20
14:08:02 -0800):

> Hello Hackers and Porters,
> =09I'm currently working on a proposal to the FreeBSD foundation to =20
> use Python Nose as a testing framework for writing tests. If there are

Are you aware of the history of the current regression tests?

If not:

It started without a structure, then some work was done to move to the =20
perl testing framework style (really only the output of the tests, and =20
the naming conventions in the directory). This was not completed, and =20
newer tests may not comply.

The reason for chosing the perl style was, to be able to use the =20
extensive perl tools to
  - automatically run all the tests
  - be able to compare different runs with the perl tools
  - be able to generate a lot of different output formats (html/text/...)

There's also a wiki page about testing, which you may want to check out:
     http://wiki.freebsd.org/TetIntegration

I don't really know python nose. I just looked at it quickly and can =20
not see any big benefit compared to the perl test protocol outlined =20
above (and the stuff outlined in the wiki looks even more advanced =20
than that). Would you please elaborate where you see the benefits of it?

Note that during release building perl is needed anyway to generate =20
the index for the ports collection. I don't know if python is required =20
currently during the release generation.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
I would have made a good pope.