Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:29:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   OSS

Hmmm... So I inquired of OSS, and the $20 package does not include
source code.  I have an inquiry pending asking what *is* the source
licensing price, but it occurs to me:

I really was quite shocked to learn that they were intending to sell
driver objects like a pig in a poke!  I am certainly not going to run
on my systems any object code which I did not compile, and cannot
modify to suit my needs.  After all, that's why I don't use Windows.
I *imagine* that the majority of the potential customers of OSS are in
a similar situation.  If OSS understood this situation, they might be
inclined to make the source code commercially available at a much more
reasonable price than to the occasional isolated source licensee.
This would be good for OSS (to sell many more licenses) and good for
the users (to be able to use the commercial drivers).