Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> At the very least, we should make sure
> that people who try to count bugs automatically by monitoring Bugtraq
> posts do not attribute bugs in ported software to FreeBSD.

Brett's made an excellent point.  It's important to keep in mind that
people evaluating operating system security are, by definition, not
familiar with that operating system.  Usually they are managers and other
marginally technical types, not the gurus who read this list (assuming
they could find it).

Even to the technically semi-literate it is still difficult to distinguish
port vulnerabilities with OS vulnerabilities.  The FreeBSD moniker is too
prominently displayed at the top of each advisory for that.  This much is
clear from the non-techies I've spoken with.  Perhaps what we need are
"BSD Port" advisories instead of "FreeBSD" advisories?

Shoot the messinger(s) if you wish, but be prepared for the results
(i.e., declining customer base).   Then again, given the lack of
civility displayed in this thread, maybe the OS does have some real
weaknesses...

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting