Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      sabowski@wam.umd.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/17399: FTPing into machine slows it down

>Number:         17399
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       FTPing into machine slows it down
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD dsl-5-48.capu.net 3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #4: Thu Feb 24 21:42:05 EST 2000
sabowski@dsl-5-48.capu.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/DSL-5-48  i386

I have a FreeBSD machine for running NATd, with 3 windows boxes going into the FreeBSD machine. Everything works smoothly except for FTP. it works in every case, except when I ftp from a windows machine to the BSD machine. It transfers very slow, plus the machine slows way down. If I am telneted into the machine at the same time, the lag is very noticable. if i continue to to transfer files via ftp like this, the machine eventually stops all internet services, and i have to reset it. ftp works in every other case, such as from the bsd machine to the internet, windows machine to the internet, etc. just gets weird on windows to bsd.

the machine is a cyrix 300MHz, with 2 3c509b NICs
>How-To-Repeat:
don't know, no one else seems to have the slightest about the problem, nor have they ever seen it. it happens every time.