Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, ticso@cicely.de, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wither the nexus driver?

note that on 8X00 and 4100 systems that the PCI chipset is *not* the root
nexus (or shouldn't be)

The 8X00 main system bus is the TLSB (turbolaser), which has different memory,
cpu or I/O modules. The I/O modules KFTIA/KTFTH then send hoses out to
outlying boxes. One of these happens to be a DWLPX (pci controller), but many
others are possible, including FutureBus (which shows you how *long* futurebus
has been rolling around).

The 4100 main system bus has MCbus as the main system bus. It has MCPCIA
modules which are the PCI interfaces.

This is has always been a peeve of mine about *BSD usage of root 'nexus'- the
assumption that the PCI chipset is the one and only nexus.