Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:48:53 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Andrew Fremantle <freebsd@skyhawk.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invalid Global DNS name and sendmail

At 02:19 PM 4/23/2007, Andrew Fremantle wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've got a machine on the local network, with a local DNS name (which is
>not a valid name in the global DNS).
>
>My problem is that I cannot kludge sendmail into behaving nicely and allow
>the periodic(8) mailings to get through.
>
>The machine is named psyche.local
>domain1.com is a domain that we own, but this machine has nothing to do
>with it. I want the emails delivered to andrew@domain1.com. This is not an
>email server in any way - All I care about it getting my periodic output.
>
>Here are the settings I'm trying :
>
>/etc/mail/psyche.local.mc
>define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.telus.net')
>define(`MAIL_HUB',`mail.telus.net')
>
>define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`domain1.com')
>
>MASQUERADE_AS(domain1.com)
>MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(psyche.local psyche)
>FEATURE(`allmasquerade')
>FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
>
>/etc/mail/genericsdomain
>psyche.local
>
>/etc/mail/genericstable
>root    andrew@domain1.com
>andrew  andrew@domain1.com
>
>/etc/mail/aliases
>root : andrew@domain1.com
>
>/etc/hosts
>192.168.2.10   psyche psyche.local
>
>With all the configurations I've tried, emails are rejected by my
>smarthost with an error like "sender address root@psyche.local invalid;
>domain does not exist".
>
>What I'd like to do is find a way to alter sendmail's perception of my
>hostname. Ideally, this would only affect sendmail and nothing else.
>
>I can't possibly be the only person running such a configuration. How have
>other people in the list worked past this?

You don't need to go to such efforts.  The stock sendmail mc file should do
fine with just a couple modifications.  The details are here:
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.22

Check your name resolution order in /etc/nsswitch.conf that you check files
first.

modify /etc/hosts
192.168.2.10   psyche psyche.local.

so it is a fully qualified domain name.

You can forward all mail in /etc/mail/virtualusertable
with a line such as:
@psyche.local   andrew@domain1.com

Be sure to recompile your virtualusertable.db

         -Derek

believed to be clean.