Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 19:05:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI Hangs...possible to reset?

Hi...

	This afternoon, after 3+ days of uptime, my news server had
what appears to be a SCSI bus hang...I'm not *too* concerned about it,
but have noticed something "neat" about Solaris.

	In the same office, we have a Sparc20 running Solaris, and
every once in a while, we seem to get a SCSI bus hang there as well,
but after Xsecs (seems like about a minute, might be less), the
system seems to send a reset and continues on its way.

	What I'm seeing might not be what I think it is (ie. might
not be a SCSI bus hang), but its what it feels like...

	Now, under BSDi, when I used to run it, the newer versions
would actually put out a message to the console when the bus hung,
so that you knew what was wrong...so it seems that in the PC world,
there is a way to detect a hang...

	...the question is, is there no way of issuing a RESET so that
the deadlock causing the hang is cleared?

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org