Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:43:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        lfloyd@sonic.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, supporters@nanyang-computer.com
Subject:   Re: The issue of support

On Sat, 11 April 1998 at  9:02:10 -0700, L. Floyd wrote:
> I work for an environmental consulting firm that mainly uses PCs (Win
> 3.x and Win95) hooked to an NT server using Banyan.  We have about 1,000
> employees nationwide tied together by a WAN.  The other day I was
> talking to one of the IS support people about alternative OSs.  I was
> astonished (at first) to hear that our Corp IS folks would never
> consider using an operating system that is free.  They feel better about
> spending money for the product, especially if it has good support.  They
> are savy enough or experienced enough to figure out problems on their
> own.
>
> So, in the case of FreeBSD, "support" may invite more corporate users to
> consider using it.... perhaps.
>
> (Of course I did mention that there was massive support via the
> Internet, but that didn't fly.)

You may have missed the announcement I sent out yesterday.  I've set
up a mailing list to discuss the matter of commercial support at
supporters@nanyang-computer.com.  If you want to sign up, send mail to
majordomo@nanyang-computer.com with 'subscribe supporters' in the body
of the message.

You raise an interesting point: should a commercially supported
version of FreeBSD cost money (not much, but enough)?  How about
'FeeBSD'?

Greg