Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 05:00:02 +0100
From:      Jan A Knepper <jknepper@luna.nl>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Windows E-Mail client(s) on FreeBSD

Dan Busarow wrote:

> First you need to pick some IP address space to use for your network.

That is what I did. 'ed0' is assigned to 10.0.0.1 with netmask
255.255.255.0
Client's have IP addresses as 10.0.0.100, 10.0.0.101, 10.0.0.102 etc.

> Now edit /etc/sysconfig and supply the appropriate IP address, ie
> 192.168.1.1 to ed0 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 (I'll assume
> a small LAN and "C" address space).

Yup! Done right there.

> Now read the Handbook section on Advanced Networking.  Don't let
> the section title scare you, it's not advanced at all.  That
> should give you a basic understanding of routing and basic is
> all you probably need.

Yes, that is what I thought, but after I pretty much followed the book,
I could not figure out soon enough why things don't work.

> Easiest way to let the PCs read mail is by giving the users
> accounts on the FreeBSD machine and using popper to serve
> mail to their DOS/windoze mail clients.  Each PC doing this will
> need a TCP/IP stack installed.

All PC's already have a TCP/IP stack. Installed that already since I
knew I would need it.
What is 'popper'? I expect it is some FreeBSD program that provides the
communication between the FreeBSD mail handling and the PC's via
ethernet. It might be all that is missing in my setup since I have the
impression that most of the setup is correct. Just TCP/IP on a client PC
won't connect and so won't work. Neither does TELNET by the way. I was
told that TELNET 10.0.0.1 also should connect to the FreeBSD box. I
guess there is something wrong with the connection between FreeBSD and
'ed0' while the kernel at start says that everything is ok.
I could not find anything in FreeBSD so far. I also looked shortly at
the packages/mail directory, but could not figure...

Any ideas?
Thanks for the help so far.

Don't worry, be Kneppie,
Jan