Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:35:16 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Info on replacing Windows NT with Linux or FreeBSD

At 03:30 PM 11/17/98 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:
>I can't even BEGIN to tell you how cool this looks.
>
>I'm going to check it out.  Right now I have a Winblows "all in one" HP
>OfficeJet.  It SUCKS.  Among other things, the software blows up Win98
>CONSISTENTLY in ways that wedge the processor (oh Joy!).

On an lighter note.  I nixed Win98 because of its bad handling of memory.
Would appear that it has a chronic memory leak that caused my machine to
turn into a 486-66 within an hour.  Ironically my PII-333 at work is
running FreeBSD incredibly.  Installing Win95 again has fixed the problem,
unfortunately still in the tainted eyes of Microshaft.

>I recently replaced an NT server with FreeBSD+Samba.  If I can replace
>THIS piece of shit with something that works, I then need only a $200
>fax machine for "paper fax" needs - or a cheap SCSI scanner - and I'm in
>completely in business.

I want to replace an NT Workstation with FreeBSD.  But none of Netscapes
servers will run on it..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us